JEDDAH – Jeddah Historical Area has recently been listed in the global heritage record for its great and significant historical sites, the most important of which are:
Naseef Courtyard (Barhat Naseef)
The courtyard in front of the historic house of Efendi Muhammad Hussein Naseef is considered to be the entrance leading to the well-known Souk Al-Alawi.
Noor Wali House
Located in Al-Yaman neighborhood, Noor Wali House overlooks the street separating Al-Yaman and Al-Mazloom neighborhoods. One of Jeddah’s historic buildings, it stands out for its distinct construction and rare inscriptions. Built by Mahmood Al-Sabban, the house was then sold to Al-Ashour family. It was later purchased by Abdulqader Noor Wali in 1944.
Designed by an engineer named Sarsar, the home was built by Omar Naseef in 1860 and took 7 years to complete. The famous house is located in Al-Yaman neighborhood and currently belongs to Efendi Muhammad Hussein Naseef and his sons. The late King Abdul Aziz stayed in it briefly when he entered Jeddah.
Built at the beginning of the Ottoman era in Al-Hijaz, the mosque is located in Souk Al-Band facing Abu Zeid Enclosure (now Al-Sharbatly Building). Yusuf Akkash renovated it in 1779 and he also constructed several buildings as endowments for the mosque. It was later renovated by Al-Damghani in 1940.
The famous Al-Falah School was established on Dec. 2, 1905. It is now located in Al-Mazloom neighborhood. It was initially established in Abdulraouf Jamjoom House. Then, Muhammad Jamjoom built a house as an endowment in Al-Shaam neighborhood for the school. The founder of the school, Muhammad Ali Zainal, purchased a plot of land on which he built the school with its trademark green dome.
This is the building of the Ottoman port. It was built on filled land by Noori Pasha in 1862. The late King Abdul Aziz renovated it in 1933. He accommodated the port, customs and quarantine in one building.
Al-Bunt Gate (Bab Al-Bunt)
Built by Mamluk Sultan Qansuwah Al-Ghouri, it was known as the customs gate (Bab Al-Jumruk). This was one of the gates of the old Mamluk port. It was named Bab Al-Bunt (Al-Bunt Gate) after Souk Al-Bunt, a once-thriving money exchange.
The big and small Rubat Al-Khanji is located on Abu Inabah Street in Al-Shaam neighborhood facing Al-Labban House. Mahmood Muhammad Qasim Al-Khanji made it an endowment to accommodate widows and poor women who did not have relatives.
Al-Labban House (Bait Al-Labban)
It is located in Al-Shaam neighborhood on Abu Inabah Street after the Great Bajsair House facing the Great Al-Khanji Rubat. It belongs to Al-Labban family.
Al-Bustani Courtyard (Barhat Al-Bustani)
This courtyard is located in Al-Mazloom neighborhood and was named after Muhammad Al-Bustani House which overlooks the courtyard.
The mosque was built during the era of Ibrahim Bin Muhammad Ali Pasha in 1824. Sheikh Abdullah Banajeh built an annex for prayer between the mosque and his famous house in Souk Al-Nada. Leading religious scholars, litterateurs and merchants used to pray in it. The late King Abdul Aziz, King Saud and many rulers and sultans have prayed in the annex.
Abu Bakr Al-Siddiq Mosque
The second small mosque used by Indian expatriates in the Historic Area in Jeddah, the mosque was established in 1822 and was renovated in 1985.
Othman Bin Affan Mosque (Al-Abanous)
The mosque was once known as Al-Abanous (Ebony) Mosque due to two ebony pillars located in the mosque compound. This was the first mosque that was built in Jeddah. It was located to the north of Othman Bin Affan harbor. The mosque was renovated during the 10th Century Hijri.
Jum’ah Shehata purchased the plot of land from the government of Muhammad Ali Pasha. The house was built in 1833. Ownership shifted to Banajeh in 1866. When the Italian Consul General stayed in the house, he renovated it and added two additional floors. Afterward, the house was owned by the late Abdulrahman Al-Sairafi.
The mosque was built by the Governor (Wali) of Jeddah during the first Ottoman era in 1716. It was famous for its leaning minaret. The old mosque remained until 1977 when it was demolished and a new mosque was built in its place.
Situated in Al-Shaam neighborhood east of Bin Muhammad House, it was known for its unique design and inscriptions. The house belonged to Sheikh Ibrahim Hamad Al-Sanee’.
Bin Muhammad House
Bin Muhammad House is located in Al-Mazloom neighborhood, after Al-Sanee’ House from the western side. It is close to Al-Dhahab Street from the eastern side in front of Baha Al-Deen Hotel. It is one of the famous historic houses of Jeddah and belongs to Bin Muhammad family who were well-known merchants.
Al-Turki House overlooks the courtyard adjacent to Othman Bin Affan Mosque. It is located behind Al-Sanee’ House within Al-Mazloom neighborhood.
Faraj Yusr Spring
Originally called Al-Ghouriyah Spring, which was located north of Al-Alawi Graveyard next to Obeid Qandeel House that was built by Sultan Qansuwah Al-Ghouri, the spring flowed until the 11th Century Hijri when it underwent repairs. Its flow was disrupted once again in the 13th Century Hijri. Merchant Faraj Yusr collected donations from traders to repair the spring and it was renamed after him.
The endowments of Sheikh Muhammad Al-Matbouli in Souk Al-Alawi.
Built by Sheikh Muhammad Bin Ibrahim Al-Maghrabi Fetaih Al-Habbab in 1842, the mosque had a minaret similar to the one in Al-Shafe’i Mosque. It was expanded by purchasing adjacent houses. It was eventually demolished and a new mosque was built in its place.
Bab Makkah (Makkah Gate)
Not the original Bab Makkah but it was built during the era of Mayor Muhammad Saeed Farsi as a symbol of the original Bab Makkah.
Bab Makkah (the original location)
Built during the Fatimid era in the 4th Century Hijri, it was renovated by Sultan Qansuwah Al-Ghouri Al-Mamluki following the grand expansion. New gates replaced the old ones. The gate was demolished during the era of Al-Shareef Al-Hussein Bin Ali and a new gate replaced it.
Originally known as Bab Al-Yaman, it was built after the first Saudi State in Al-Hijaz. It was mentioned as Bab Shareef in official documents during the reign of Muhammad Ali Pasha. “Ya Sattar” was written on the gate.
This bakery was owned by Sheikh Yusuf Shukri, chief baker. He used to bake brown bread that proved to be immensely popular. Former residents of Historic Jeddah returned to the area to purchase the bread long after they had moved to other parts of the city.
This house belongs to Al Bajunaid family and once housed the British Embassy. It was also used as the Directorate of Police during the era of Abdulmajeed Shubukshi.
It was given this name as the souk was frequented by Bedouins who regularly shopped here.
The souk borders Al-Shafei Mosque and is considered to be among the most beautiful historic markets.
It was named after the pious man Abu Bakr Bin Ahmed Al-Alawi who died in 1707. He regularly prayed at an adjacent mosque and the souk was eventually named after him.
This souk was built in the late 13th Century Hijri and was initially used by residents of Al-Bahr Neighborhood.
This market was built at the end of the Mamluk era and was expanded at the beginning of the Ottoman era due to its proximity to the old Mamluk port. There were many cafés where travelers used to wait for the announcement to board ships, so it was named as Souk Al-Nada.
It was given this name as the people of Jeddah gathered here to pledge allegiance to King Faisal in 1962.
The new gate built by Jeddah Municipality.
Throughout the eras, Jeddah was governed by a deputy governor whose headquarters was in the northeast of Jeddah in Al Zainal House.
Built by the late King Abdul Aziz in 1935, Bab Jadeed facilitated the entry and exit of vehicles from the city.
The previous headquarters of the Arabian American Oil Company (Aramco), the house belonged to Sheikh Ahmed Omar Bajunaid.
The Bakhraibah family lived in this house. Among them was Sheikh Hamad Yeslam Bakhraibah, and his sons. He was the district chief (Umdah) of this neighborhood until mid-1964.
Built by Sheikh Abdullah Banajeh as a residence for pilgrims, he then made it into an endowment as a charitable rubat for widows and the elderly.
It belonged to Sheikh Ibrahim Batterjee and his sons. The house was used by several embassies including the American and British embassies.
Owned by the Al-Hazzazi family, which includes Muhammad Al-Hazzazi, who was among the first heads of Jeddah Municipality.
Built by Al-Shareef Muhanna in 1935, it was purchased by Sheikh Abdullah Sharbatli and housed the Egyptian Embassy.
Abu Inabah Mosque
There used to be grape vines that were watered from a well at the location until a man named Othman Zaki Omar built a small mosque in its place and named it Abu Inabah Mosque.
It was built and made into an endowment by Muhammad Abdul Rasheed Ali Al-Othmani in 1912.
Muhieddeen Nazer and his brothers used to live in this house. Currently, Muhammad Zakir lives here and he also runs a carpentry shop that utilizes traditional tools. He uses the area in front of his house as a Mirkaaz (gathering place) where he meets and hosts friends.
Quraish Palace Hotel
This was built by Sheikh Abdullah Rafee’ Linjawi through an Italian company in 1944. During his visit to Jeddah, King Farouq of Egypt stayed here.
Salamah House (Ahmed Badeeb)
The house belonged to Al Salamah family of Jeddah. It was recently purchased by Ahmed Badeeb, who renovated it.
Al Gabil House belongs to a deep-rooted family in Jeddah. Gabil Street is named after the same family. Sheikh Sulaiman Gabil and his brothers used to live in this house.
Sheikh Ahmed Muhammad Saleh Baeshen lived in this house. He used part of it to run his well-known tea business.
Muhammad Ali Abdulaal Al-Sa’eedi used to work in this bakery. He had a Mirkaaz (gathering place) in front of the bakery.
Al-Shafei (Al-Omari) Mosque
It was named Al-Omari Mosque after the Caliph Omar Bin Al-Khattab, who built it. The mosque has a minaret built according to the Ayoubi architectural style. It is considered to be one of the biggest mosques in Jeddah’s Historic Area.
Mahmood Al-Ashmawi and his sons used to live in this house, which had beautiful wooden frames known as “Rawasheen” covering its windows.
The Umdah of Al-Mazloom neighborhood Hassan Hanbouli and his sons lived in this house. It belongs to Al-Tarabulsi family.
Badeeb Family House
Salim and Muhammad Badeeb used to live in this house. They were among the most well-known perfume sellers. Both men and their sons lived in this house. Before that, their grandfather, Saeed Badeeb, used to live here.
Al-Jamjoom Al-Kabir House
Built by the merchant Faraj Yusr, the house overlooks the Red Sea. It was later purchased by Al-Jamjoom family.
Built in 1614 by Qurrat Mustafa Pasha, the construction work was carried out by Ahmed Kurd Al-Mi’mar. The mosque is commonly known as Al-Mi’mar Mosque as a result.